Friday, July 6, 2012

Being Alone

I just saw this quote pinned by someone on Pinterest and liked it:

“I think it’s very healthy to 
spend time alone. 
You need to know 
how to be alone 
and not be defined by another person.”

Unfortunately it's being attributed to Oscar Wilde all over the internet and, peeps, Oscar Wilde didn't say this. Actress Olivia Wilde said this, in an interview after experiencing a break-up. I know it's irritating not being able to trust everything you see on the internet, but you know what, you just can't trust everything you see on the internet. That's another subject though. *

Even though Olivia Wilde said it and not Oscar, she has learned a bit of wisdom that more of us need to realize. 

Humans were designed to be social beings, and to need people. But this need can sometimes control us in unhealthy ways. It isn't good when this need leads you to continue hanging out with friends who are a bad influence on you. When you're afraid to stand up to someone who's walking all over you. When you go from one romantic partner to the next with a sort of desperation. When you can't be content being single. When you can't bear to spend one evening or weekend away from your spouse or significant other. When you feel like you can't be happy or fulfilled without someone in your life. 

I think this is one reason I'm thankful for military life. It teaches me this lesson in a very stark way that not many people get to experience. I love my husband more than anything in the world, but I've learned that I can spend an evening, a week, a month, a year without him and not fall apart, even though I miss him like crazy. I've learned to live without family close. I've learned not to cling too tightly to friends. 

Practice being alone and okay with it!

*I'm thinking of starting a regular feature on my blog called "The Worst of Pinterest." What do you think ?

4 comments:

  1. "Worst of pinterest," kinda like regretsy! You could be famous!!!

    I whole-heartedly agree with the post too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, regretsy is hilarious!!

    And I think you should totally do a "worst of pintrest." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I completely agree, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, but I'm extremely introverted and gravitate toward alone time. And yes, pinterest needs some calling out! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete