Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I'm in Texas

Well, we have been here in Texas for a little over a week now. I haven't taken many pictures yet, so this is going to be a photo-less entry. I apologize.

* We have a place...a 2-bedroom duplex with a good-sized kitchen and living room and a cute patio. Overall it's a little on the small side but our BAH (housing allowance) is really low here and since we can't live on post this time around, we need a place with rent enough below BAH that we can include utilities and cable/internet. In a couple months we'll be able to afford a 2nd car, which will be so nice.

* However, we are not in said place yet since the movers have decided to take their sweet time in getting our stuff to us. Hopefully by this time next week we will have it but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I sure miss my stuff! And I miss cooking! I've gotten obsessed with watching the Food Network since there hasn't been much else to do in the hotel, and it's getting me really antsy to get back in the kitchen!

* So far I think I'm going to like El Paso. The mountains are beautiful and you can see them almost no matter where you are. The neighborhoods you can see from the main highway are pretty scary, but once you get off and get farther away from it, there's plenty of really nice neighborhoods, restaurants, and shopping. I can't WAIT to save up some spending money and go to the fantastic outlet mall that has everything an outlet mall should have--I've never been this close to one before. We've already tried one yummy Mexican restaurant and have a few more on the list to visit. There's so much to do over the next few months: a wine festival (we're near some great New Mexico wineries!), a free Chopin concert festival, an air show with the Blue Angels, New Mexico state fair and rodeo, etc.

* Ft. Bliss is nice too. The Freedom Crossing (PX, commissary, movie theater, restaurants, etc.) completely lived up to my expectations. I've never seen anything so nice on a military installation. We did decide though that Ft. Lewis had more superior gyms. The one here is nice but is lacking in a few areas.

* We thought Andrew was getting put in a training unit, but when he signed in he got put in 1st Stryker Brigade, 1st Armored Division. We're both okay with that. We've heard good things about this unit. The infantry life is what I'm used to and I handle it just fine. I'm looking forward to volunteering for the FRG again if they need anything!

* I hate to end on a not-so-positive note, but it must be said...I really miss my friends. =( I had the best group of girls ever at Lewis! Words can't express how much it sucks to not have them around anymore. And I'd better stop now before the waterworks start!

7 comments:

  1. The irony of food network obsession and no kitchen >.< that's gotta be rough :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love so much how you are reveling in the perks of where you live! I wish more people would do that instead of just complaining that there's nothing to do when they haven't even looked.

    Ooh, yay for possibly getting a second car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more adventurous than some people, I guess. =) This is a very unique part of the country and even though I'm sure I'll be ready to leave after 3 years, I'm determined to appreciate it's attributes! That was definitely a major complaint I've been hearing about Bliss/El Paso for years--"there's nothing to do!" But I don't know what they were talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are liking it so far. Cant wait to hear what else you like there. I always just hear bad things about Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are liking it so far! That Freedom Crossing does sound amazing!
    Random question, what hotel are you staying at and do you like it? We are staying there one night and need a place that's pet friendly! (I'm assuming your kitties are with you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why can't you live on base? I'm glad you found a place cheap enough, and I hope you can move in soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always did too, Tamara! I do think it used to be bad though. El Paso has grown a lot in the last few years and Bliss has been doing a ton of renovations and improvements. And the borders probably weren't as secure back then either.

    Carol, there's too much of a demand on post housing here. The wait list is very long.

    ReplyDelete