Well, we have been here in Texas for a little over a week now. I haven't taken many pictures yet, so this is going to be a photo-less entry. I apologize.
* We have a place...a 2-bedroom duplex with a good-sized kitchen and living room and a cute patio. Overall it's a little on the small side but our BAH (housing allowance) is really low here and since we can't live on post this time around, we need a place with rent enough below BAH that we can include utilities and cable/internet. In a couple months we'll be able to afford a 2nd car, which will be so nice.
* However, we are not in said place yet since the movers have decided to take their sweet time in getting our stuff to us. Hopefully by this time next week we will have it but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I sure miss my stuff! And I miss cooking! I've gotten obsessed with watching the Food Network since there hasn't been much else to do in the hotel, and it's getting me really antsy to get back in the kitchen!
* So far I think I'm going to like El Paso. The mountains are beautiful and you can see them almost no matter where you are. The neighborhoods you can see from the main highway are pretty scary, but once you get off and get farther away from it, there's plenty of really nice neighborhoods, restaurants, and shopping. I can't WAIT to save up some spending money and go to the fantastic outlet mall that has everything an outlet mall should have--I've never been this close to one before. We've already tried one yummy Mexican restaurant and have a few more on the list to visit. There's so much to do over the next few months: a wine festival (we're near some great New Mexico wineries!), a free Chopin concert festival, an air show with the Blue Angels, New Mexico state fair and rodeo, etc.
* Ft. Bliss is nice too. The Freedom Crossing (PX, commissary, movie theater, restaurants, etc.) completely lived up to my expectations. I've never seen anything so nice on a military installation. We did decide though that Ft. Lewis had more superior gyms. The one here is nice but is lacking in a few areas.
* We thought Andrew was getting put in a training unit, but when he signed in he got put in 1st Stryker Brigade, 1st Armored Division. We're both okay with that. We've heard good things about this unit. The infantry life is what I'm used to and I handle it just fine. I'm looking forward to volunteering for the FRG again if they need anything!
* I hate to end on a not-so-positive note, but it must be said...I really miss my friends. =( I had the best group of girls ever at Lewis! Words can't express how much it sucks to not have them around anymore. And I'd better stop now before the waterworks start!